The main provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the “Ordinance”) came into force on 20 December 1996. This Statement sets out the obligations and policies of DSG Energy Limited (the “Company”) under the Ordinance.
The Company keeps personal details of its customers on file such as names, addresses, ID numbers, telephone numbers, account numbers and information relating to gas consumption and billing, together with other information which may be necessary for the provision of the Company’s services.
Customers are required to supply the Company with this kind of data in connection with the opening or operation of gas accounts, and when the Company provides other related facilities and services.
The purposes for which data may be used include:
- the daily operation of the Company’s services and processing applications or requests relating to the Company’s products, facilities and services
- opening and maintaining gas accounts for customers
- providing after-sales and maintenance services
- conducting customer, product, facility and service surveys
- direct marketing of products, facilities and services and appeals for donation (please see further details in the section entitled “Use of Your Personal Data in Direct Marketing” below)
- handling customer complaints and enquiries
- calculating any amount of indebtedness owing to or from customers, and collecting debts from customers
- making disclosure according to the requirements of any law, regulations, codes of conduct or guidelines applicable to any member of the Group (defined below)
- any other directly related matters.
Transfer of Personal DataWithout such data, the Company may not be able to provide services to its customers.
Personal data of customers held by the Company will be kept confidential but the Company may provide such information to the following persons (whether within or outside Hong Kong) except that the Company has no current intention to transfer customer data to another person for it to use in direct marketing:
- subsidiaries and associated companies of the Company (the Company and all its subsidiaries and associated companies collectively called the “Group”)
- any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides services to the Group in connection with the operation of the Company’s business
- the media (only in relation to the handling of customer complaints and enquiries referred to the Company by the media)
- any person to whom any Group member is under an obligation or is otherwise expected to make disclosure according to any law, regulations, codes of conduct or guidelines applicable to any Group member
- any person who owes a duty of confidentiality to any Group member (e.g. professional advisers of the Group).
Use of Your Personal Data in Direct Marketing
The Company is allowed to use your personal data in direct marketing only if you consent or do not object.
In connection with direct marketing, the Company intends:
- to use your name, contact details, customer profiling and service portfolio information (including information on gas consumption and billing) held by the Company from time to time in direct marketing
- to market the following classes of products, facilities, services and subjects which may be offered or arranged by any member of the Group or business partners with which any member of the Group conducts cross or joint marketing activities:
a. gas supply and related products, facilities and services (including after-sales and maintenance services)
b. household gadgets, cookware, kitchenware, appliances and furnishings
c. restaurants, food and beverages
d. personal or household insurance products and services
e. contests, lucky draws, events and/or activities organised or sponsored by any member of the Group (including cooking classes, beverage making classes, workshops on handmade products, certificate courses, product demonstrations and members’ activities relating to membership programmes offered by any member of the Group
f. environmentally friendly and health products
g. lifestyle products; and
h. donations and contributions for charitable and/or non-profit making purposes.
Access to and Correction of Personal DataIf you do NOT wish the Company to use your personal data in direct marketing, you may exercise your opt-out right.
You may opt out at the time you registered for the Company’s services. You may also send to HKShellgas-CSC@dsg-energy.com or call the Company at 2435 8388 stating your gas account number and other necessary particulars to opt out from direct marketing at any time. The Company will then cease to use your personal data in direct marketing. Processing of such request is free of charge.
Customers have the right under the Ordinance:
– to check whether the Company holds records of their personal data
– to obtain a copy of that data
– to correct any data which is inaccurate
Requests for access to data or correction of data should be by calling hotline at 24358388
Retention of Personal Data
The Company keeps personal data for such period that is necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which the data was collected or as required or permitted by applicable laws.
The Company takes all reasonably practical measures to protect personal data, whether stored physically or electronically, and prevent unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure, loss or use (including transfer). Personal data is stored under lock, encrypted or password-protected as necessary. When the Company engages a data processor to process personal data on its behalf, contractual or other means are adopted to prevent unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure, loss or use (including transfer) of the data transferred to the data processor.
(If there is any inconsistency or conflict between the English version and Chinese version of this Statement, the English version shall prevail.)
We use the term “cookies” to refer to cookies and other similar technologies covered by the EU Directive on privacy in electronic communications.
- What is a cookie?
Cookies are small data files that your browser places on your computer or device. Cookies help your browser navigate a website and the cookies themselves cannot collect any information stored on your computer or your files.
When a server uses a web browser to read cookies they can help a website deliver a more user-friendly service. To protect your privacy, your browser only gives a website access to the cookies it has already sent to you.
Cookies remember the type of browser you use and which additional browser software you have installed. They also remember your preferences, such as language and region, which remain as your default settings when you revisit the website. Cookies also allow you to rate pages and fill in comment forms.
- How are third party cookies used?
- How do I reject and delete cookies?